Friday, November 03, 2006

Aw ... say it isn't so

I like Shakira. I really, really like Shakira. As one of the few contemporary singers I bother to keep up with on occasion, she saves me from being a complete old-timer permanently stuck in Retroville.

And now she's done it. Dangit. According to Fox News:

"She threw her support to those trying to become citizens as they work without documentation. 'I hope soon they will receive they recognition they deserve from the government,' the Colombian superstar said."

Shakira, girlfriend, please ... "the recognition they deserve"? They deserve??

By the way, I don't know where this "trying to become citizens" business comes from. Between the Mechistas claiming that the southwestern U.S. belongs to them anyway and the revolving door at the border, I don't see a whole lot of investment in the idea of U.S. citizenship.

First George, and now Shakira. Oh, this makes my head hurt.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Aw, I'm sorry, babe. We're all idiots about something, I suppose; the best of us keep it to the unimportant stuff.

The word "deserve" is getting to be like "inconceivable"--you just want to say to some people, "You keep using that word... I do not think it means what you think it means."

-Rich