Thursday, October 19, 2006

Colmes out to lunch on North Korea

My, my, my! Lots going on in this big, nutty world since I blogged a week ago. I will say that Rich and I had a fabuloso weekend. Read about it on his blog here.

Meanwhile, I got a profoundly sobering e-mail yesterday from The Voice of the Martyrs regarding the treatment of Christians -- and anyone else who won't lick the boots of Nutcase in Chief Kim Jong Il -- in North Korea.

If you're even remotely thinking that we should have a sit-down with Kim, please read this. And this. If you're short on time, I'll summarize: North Korea employs hundreds of exotic ways to torture and murder its own citizens for crimes such as believing in God or attempting to cross the border. If you're lucky, you'll just get a bullet. Doesn't matter if you're an 80-year-old grandmother or a toddler, crimes against the "Great Leader" are not tolerated. Oh and, by the way, at least 10 percent of the population has died of starvation in recent years.

How could we begin to trust that Kim would do ANYTHING with peaceful intent?

Apparently, Alan Colmes does. He recently said that providing the Norks with "energy" (I assume he meant nuclear energy capability) would help raise them out of devastating poverty and starvation. News flash, Alan: Kim Jong Il doesn't care squat about people's welfare. North Korea's GDP is lower than the spare change I have in a coffee mug on my desk. How do you think he affords his own lavish lifestyle (including a reputed wine cellar stocked with 10,000 bottles of France's finest)?

I'll let you ponder that for a moment.

In the meanwhile -- for those of us who truly care about North Koreans (including, I hope, Mr. Colmes) -- please visit sites such as Voice of the Martyrs (link above) and consider donating to a truly worthy cause. The people of North Korea are mostly voiceless in our media culture. We can work to change that.

No comments: