Saturday, October 22, 2005

The Man in Black returns


The GGB is beside herself with excitement at the upcoming 20th Century Fox biopic Walk the Line. I've been a Johnny Cash fan for 30 years. (And I'm 35, so you do the math.) What in the world a five-year-old found appealing about "Folsom Prison Blues" or "Sunday Morning Coming Down" is beyond me, but there I was with my little red Radio Shack 8-track player and a couple of JC cassettes to keep me happy. I mean, come on, the guy did a stint on The Muppets. Anyone who appears on The Muppet Show has got to be OK.

I saw Johnny around 1995 at City Stages in Birmingham when he had his comeback. Man, what a show. I'm so glad I was able to see my idol, especially now that Johnny is no longer with us.

If you haven't watched the trailer, check it out here. I've read excellent pre-release reviews about the movie and about Joaquin Phoenix' and Reese Witherspoon's performances. I think they both look a little "pretty" to be playing June 'n' Johnny. (In fact, Joaquin is downright luscious, whereas Johnny looked much more road-worn, even in his 20s, but we'll see how it goes. He's just about got the voice down pat. His rendition of "Ring of Fire" is pretty darn good.)

The GGB will follow up with a review next month when the flick is released.


In the meanwhile, check out the official Johnny Cash Web site here.






Johnny Cash
1932 - 2003

No comments: