Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Mr. Clooney, call your office




















The Gulf Coast cries out for help. George, are you listening?

Hey ... I really love your movies. I know some would flay me alive for saying this, but I still plan to hit the theaters this fall to see Good Night and Good Luck and Syriana, even though they appear to be highly politicized from what I've read in previews. But I'm a grownup, I can handle it. I like you that much. I even liked Solaris.

But after all the wailing from Hollywood about Iraq and Africa and whatnot, the only news story I can find about Hollywood's reaction to Hurricane Katrina is this piece. Maybe it's too early, but are you guys gonna do anything about your own countrymen suffering in virtual Third World conditions down South? Yeah, down here in the Red States. Flyover country.

You were involved in the (in)famous Sept. 11 star-a-thon. On many fronts, this is worse. Fewer lives lost but multitudes displaced, entire cities shut down, our gas and oil supply compromised, and the economic futures of hundreds of thousands of people at stake. Will you and Julia and Brad and Angelina rise to the occasion? Will ya put your money where your mouth is?

I thought I'd put the challenge out there to you because although I don't find your political views appealing, I am a genuine fan. Ask anyone who knows me. I'm not so reactionary that I cannot enjoy what you bring to the silver screen. And at times like these, surely we can get back to being Americans again and forget about politics and partisanship.

I've put more than one dollar in your wallet, and I'd really like to see you step up to the plate help my neighbors -- your neighbors.

George? Are you listening?

UPDATE: Sublog reports that a Stephen King-owned radio station is helping the relief efforts. (Thank you, Michelle Malkin.)

No comments: