Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Cuff 'em all, I say!

Several years ago, I spent a particularly forgettable year teaching second-grade Sunday School. It took me and another woman to handle eight kids, including one who was "hyper" and would tell you so … after he got through turning the classroom into something resembling the Baghdad Hilton.

So when I saw the video of the five-year-old who went berserk and wound up in handcuffs, I was filled with secret glee.

Yeah … videos can be misleading, so I won’t make a definitive statement on this particular case. But let it be known: I am sick and tired of seeing kids who beat up on adults and no one does anything about it.

A few years ago, I attended a party of mostly 40-something adults. While noshing in the kitchen, I saw a mother tell her nine- or 10-year-old daughter she couldn’t play outside in the cold. The kid swatted her on the backside; mom did nothing. I nearly dropped my drink.

Later, another woman was calmly – calmly – talking about how her 16-year-old daughter had hit her so hard she’d bruised her arm. Nearly dropped my drink again. I figured the little brat I saw in the kitchen would one day be bruising her mother, too.

Hit my parent? Not unless I wanted to get the worst spanking of my life and be confined to my room for the next decade. It was unthinkable. If you were born in the ‘70s or before, you’re probably nodding your head.

I just don’t get these parents. And don’t tell me I don’t understand because I’m not a mother. I’ve already had to administer the hand-slap to my one-year-old niece when she reached for something she wasn’t supposed to. I will not hesitate to spank her little bottom if she ever strikes Aunt GGB.

And while the moonbat child "experts" complain that I’m "teaching her violence," the kids who aren’t spanked continue to spiral out of control and wind up top story on the evening news.

Or maybe that's the point – to get your 15 minutes of fame via your psycho child?

No comments: